Monday, June 30, 2008

"El fin de los tiempos"

On Friday, John, another student in my program, and I hung out with our conversation partners for the first time. One of the girls that was sitting at our table at the initial conversation partner meeting didn’t end up getting an American partner, so we decided to invite all three of them to see a movie at the mall Friday night. Beforehand, we ate ice cream at Bravissimo, my new favorite place to get ice cream. You can pick any three kinds of ice cream from an extensive list of flavors, along with toppings, chocolate, fruit, etc. The dish was humungous and the ice cream was delicious! I'll definitely be back for more.



Sadly "Kung Fu Panda" wasn't playing when we were there.



We decided to see “El fin de los tiempos” at the movie theater (aka “The Happening”). I was really disappointed because the movie wasn’t dubbed in Spanish; it was in English with Spanish subtitles so it was basically like if I were to see it in the U.S. I took a Spanish Films course in the spring, so I was all prepared to utilize my skills. But other than the language discrepancy, the movie was good. Just kind of graphic. Jessenia, Romina, Ana Maria and I were hiding under our coats and squinting with disgust at some points in the movie. Yes, the sight of people stabbing themselves in the neck or laying underneath lawnmowers is universally shocking, no matter what language you speak.

No comments: